Information on Funeral Services
The purpose of this page is to inform and educate consumers about funeral service. We have provided a few facts to give you a better, overall understanding of funeral service.
1. You can transfer your pre-need contract from one funeral home to another at any time.
2. A revocable pre-need contract may be canceled at any time by you, the purchaser.
3. An irrevocable pre-need contract cannot be canceled except through special procedures but it's benefits can be transferred to any funeral home of your choice at any time prior to need.
4. Embalming is NOT required by law. Except in certain special cases.
5. Embalming is the use of chemicals, internally and externally, to disinfect and temporarily preserve the human remains for open casket viewing and/or for the removal of the remains to distant destinations.
6. A casket is NOT required for a Cremation.
7. An outer burial container (Vault or liner) is NOT required by law, however certain cemeteries may require some sort of outer burial container.
8. Available methods of disposition are: human remains can be buried, entombed, cremated, or donated for Scientific study.
9. In the state of North Carolina, the funeral home owner does not have to be a licensed embalmer. The owner can hold a funeral directors license only.
10. There is a law which prohibits funeral directors from solicitation. Soliciting is unlawful.
-Federal Trade Commission/business.ftc.gov
-North Carolina board of Funeral Service/ncbfs.org